If you live in Edinburgh, the chances are you’ve visited, or at least driven past The Maybury. We recently visited to photograph inside this beautiful building that has been used as a variety
It is currently used as the Grovesnor Casino Edinburgh.
The Maybury started life as a Roadhouse in 1936 at a cost of £25,000. It was built a stones-throw away from the Corstorphine tramway terminus.
It was considered to be an extremely modern building and the internal lighting and interior decoration was the height of originality. The roof of the building was to be used to play deck quoits and tennis.
The Edinburgh Presbytery deemed it their duty to protest against the granting of a licence for the building but this attitude was strongly criticised as it was felt that the Church in the 20th century should not dictate to their members what they should eat and drink.
The Roadhouse opened for business on the 20 November 1936 with an opening ceremony for invited guests followed by lunch. In the evening there was a lavish dinner dance in the Restaurant-Ballroom which completed the initial ‘house warming’.
The Roadhouse was open for business 6 days a week from 10am to 1am the next day. They served lunch, tea, dinner and supper. Tea dances were held 3 days a week.
During World War 2, the roof was used for gun placements which caused considerable damage.
The Maybury continued its business serving the public in their leisure activities, keeping up to date with live bands and ‘suppers in a basket’ through the 60s and 70s. During the 80s the Disco era arrived and again the Maybury provided facilities for a new generation.
Unfortunately, the building was starting to decline. In 1987 it closed for business and had a massive refurbishment ; reopening in 1988 as a Conference and Banqueting Centre.
There was a dedicated conference area with retractable seating and up to the minute built in conference equipment.
The Ballroom once again came into its own with charity balls, graduation balls and weddings. A staircase was built in the ballroom which provided access to the balcony area and brides and grooms could make their grand entrance down the staircase.
In 1997 the Maybury was sold to Stakis Casinos and once again this magnificent building rose to a new challenge.
The building is ‘B’ listed so although there have been many changes in the layout, as required for the Casino business, within the confines of the building, certain features cannot be tampered with and must remain. The exterior of the building is also protected and cannot be altered.
It is such an iconic building in Edinburgh and long may she remain so.