PHOTO – Inside Old Observatory House, Calton Hill

As part of the excellent Doors Open Days in Edinburgh, Old Observatory House on Calton Hill was opened to the public.

Old Observatory Housethe is the oldest of the buildings on Calton Hill and was designed by James Craig, architect of the layout of the New Town and wascompleted in 1872.  It was intended to be used as the city observatory but due to lack of funds, no equipment could be bought.

Now run by Vivat Trust,  Old Observatory House has been lovingly restored to its former glory and is available to rent for a holiday and/or special events. You can check availability here and prices are reasonable for larger groups with every window offering panoramic views of Edinburgh, Fife and the Lothians.

Here’s some pictures from inside the beautiful property today. Since we were part of a tour, we snapped as many pictures as we could with 15 others present in our allotted time.

Old Observatory House, Calton Hill

One of the lounges

The main dining room

One of the master bedrooms

The view through the window of the bedroom

Another bedroom

Excellent view of Edinburgh from several of the rooms

Loading Facebook Comments ...

Leave a Reply